Autumn school information
|Autumn 2014||Autumn school
- The school will take place in Hotel Azurèva (pdf leaflet in English, web in French) in the mountain village of Métabief.
- All meals and coffee breaks are included. The first meal is the dinner on Sunday (preceded by a welcome drink).
- In order to help cover the cost of meals and accommodation, a fee of 100 EUR for single bedroom, resp. 50 EUR for double bedroom, will be charged upon arrival to the venue in Métabief. This fee thus covers all the meals and the 5 nights. The students and researchers who do not have a research grant can apply for up to 100 % reduction of this fee. In this case 1) register 2) send us an e-mail (af2014_at_univ-fcomte.fr) explaining your situation.
- There is an ATM machine in the Village and it is possible to pay by VISA and Mastercard in the hotel and generally in all the commerces.
- Weather info : Matabief is at about 1000 m above sea level. The weather can range from cold (0°C) and rainy to warm (15°C) and sunny on the same day.
- We plan to propose a hiking trip on one free afternoon (thursday). Those who are interested should bring solid waterproof hiking boots, or at least weatherproof trainers.
- Voltage in France is 220V. You can consult the plug shapes here.
- On Sunday, October 19, 2014, there will be a special bus from Besancon to Métabief.
The bus leaves from the parking lot in front of the Laboratoire de Mathématiques at 4:45PM and will make one stop at Gare Viotte at 17:00 in order to pick-up people coming by the 16:54 train. You can arrive to the math department earlier, and wait for the bus over a cup of coffee or tea in our coffee room.
- From the train station Besancon Viotte you can get to the math department by bus no. 3. going in the direction "Temis" (timetable). Get off the bus at the stop "CROUS Université".
- On Friday, October 24, 2014, the bus will leave from Métabief at 4PM and will arrive to Besancon Viotte train station/downtown Besancon before 6PM.
The tickets for the train can be booked here.
Important information : The SNCF (the French train company) will be carrying out railroad works on the line Paris-Besancon on the weekend before the Autumn school. In particular,the replacement trains are not direct and take considerably more time (about 5 hours). Consequently, we will postpone the departure of our shuttle till some later time. We are sorry for the inconvenience. Kindly inform us of your arrival time to Besancon as soon as you know it. The trains from Basel (and therefore from Zurich) do not seem to be touched.
The following map tries to summarize the public transport connections from the nearest airports to Besançon or to Métabief.
Alternative ways to Métabief
From Paris you can also catch a direct train going to Frasne (24km from Métabief). (The previous statement is not correct anymore because of the unexpected railroad works carried out by the SNCF on the weekend before the Autumn school. There are trains but not direct.) From Frasne you can take a public bus.
The airports in Geneva and Bern are not well connected by train to Besançon but you can take a train to go to Vallorbe (11km from Métabief). From Vallorbe you can take a public bus to Métabief. In exceptional cases, we can pick you up in Vallorbe.
Please notice that the conference bus provided by the organizers may be the easiest way to get to Métabief.
Google Calendar users : you can add this schedule to your Google Calendar by clicking the above button.
Other calendar app users : You can import this schedule into your calendar application by copying the following link : https://www.google.com/calendar/ical/j0fgl59fsm4hoasr01cej72l5g%40group.calendar.google.com/public/basic.ics
In both cases it should stay synchronized as we fill-in more details (subject to testing).